.post-body img { max-width:1100px; height:auto; }

Thursday, November 15, 2012

imagination

picture by Emily McDowell via Design Mom


I've pretty much spent my life imagining things.  It was always my favorite past-time.  Even now that I'm grown up, and I'm not supposed to, I still tell myself stories, basically all the time.  Maybe that's one reason why I enjoy running; there's plenty of time to tell yourself a long, complicated stories.  Sometimes my stories are about fictional people, sometimes myself.  Sometimes the past, sometimes the future.

So maybe that's one reason why I have a hard time trying to enjoy the moment.  Does anyone really do this?  I've always picked some event in my future to aspire to -- being in college, being out of college, married, working, children, retired-- yup, lots of things.  I don't know if this is detrimental or not.  I should really try to live in the present more often, though.  To enjoy what and where I am. 

But not all stories are bad.  I enjoy thinking about other people or other situations and trying to decide how I'd act or how someone else would act (and why).  One of my professors told me it was a myth that English students (and by extension, readers) are made more empathetic by reading, but I'm not sure I believe him.  How else can you ever really understand someone else, except by doing your best to think about their point of view...the essence of reading? 

I don't think I'll ever completely stop telling stories, and I don't think I want to.  Imagination and belief are important. 

1 comment:

  1. love this. story more my lady, story more. =)

    Stopping by to say "aloha" from An Aloha Affair and to invite you to join us this week. We are now live and are ready to mingle. I can't wait to see what else you've been up to this week.

    Aloha,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete