.post-body img { max-width:1100px; height:auto; }

Friday, November 9, 2012

books

I really, really love reading.  Books are basically my favorite thing in the world, and I always get so happy and excited when I walk into a  bookstore (or a library!).  Yesterday, Sam and I went into Camilla's, a used bookstore in our town.  It is so crowded and stuffed with books- everything from WW2 cookbooks to contemporary fiction and everything else in between.  I love picking up an old book and reading the inscription- yesterday, my favorite one was written from a man to his wife and dated London March 1944.

Anyway, I'm currently reading the Paris Wife, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I think it does capture the feeling of writers and artists in the '20s, but it is also depressing and a bit frustrating.  I love reading a book that leaves you racing to the end, but at the time sad when you reach it, because then the book is over.  I'm always thrilled when I find a book like that, but usually read it too quickly.  Sometimes, when I find a book I'm pretty sure I'll love (like a new book by a favorite author), I'll leave it on the shelf for a bit, just savoring the time until I get to read it.  My husband thinks this is crazy, and usually takes it to mean that I'm not interested in the book after all.  (But really it's the opposite.)  I can usually cheer myself up with a book, but sometimes, it can take a while to feel happy again after reading something overly depressing or dark.  Still, I don't think I'll ever get over that feeling of walking into a room full of books and being excited by the possibilities. 

What are you reading?  Any good book recommendations?

yup, random picture from the park today.  still loving this weather!

3 comments:

  1. hey rachel! so nice to meet you. thanks for blog hopping with us. i am returning the favor and following back :) so i just got the book the paris wife on my kindle and started just the first few pages. i love books but feel like i havent found any great one's in some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous there, it's so gray, cold and gloomy here :(
    Wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up to the "Follow Me Maybe" blog hop and for following me :) Now following you! Bre @ Peacoats and Plaid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading your archives since I'm a new reader. (Totally not creepy right?) Try reading American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's a fictional novel loosely based on Barbara Bush's life.

    ReplyDelete