.post-body img { max-width:1100px; height:auto; }

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sunday Social

First of all, happy Remembrance Day!  Living in a town with tons of old people (seriously), I hear stories about their youth all the time, and I really think it's important not to forget about either of the world wars.  They had a serious impact on us and the future, and were pretty devastating.  Thanks, veterans.  I love the tradition of buying and wearing poppies, so of course my husband and I will be sporting ours today.   

OK, now onto the questions.  Even though I live in England and might not really have a true Thanksgiving this year, this is still one of my favorite holidays.   I really loved it as a kid, when it meant the countdown to Christmas was on, and we were almost there.  Plus, an extra two days off from school was awesome.  And it just solidified the fact that fall was hands down the best season. 

Favorite Thanksgiving Memory - when I was in high school, I still remember my favorite Thanksgiving.  We were at home, instead of my Grandparent's, and all my family had come to visit.  It snowed (which I love), and we played a game of (American) football with some friends in a nearby park. 

Favorite Thanksgiving Food - this used to be rolls, but I have moved on to sweet potatoes.  I never had these growing up, because my mom detests them, but since moving out, I've been able to try them, and they are the best!  Last year, my husband and I may or may not have celebrate Thanksgiving purely with sweet potatoes.

What is a Thanksgiving Tradition you and your family have?  We always play a game of Scrabble. My husband is ridiculously good at this game, and we don't actually own it, so we probably won't be doing it this year.  Maybe Boggle instead?  (The only game we brought with us to England.)  Still, as a kid, I loved that evening time after dinner and before pie, when we sat around the table and played Scrabble.

Show us a favorite Thanksgiving picture(or 5) from years past - OK, so my computer recently crashed and I lost a lot of stuff.  Still, here is a picture from Thanksgiving at university, when my friends used to take the opportunity of friendship with me to celebrate a 'real' American holiday.  Don't mind how awkward we all look, or my closed eyes. 


What are you most looking forward to about this Thanksgiving? Like I said, who knows if my husband and I will really celebrate this year.  We'll probably just have a small meal together, but maybe we'll invite some friends to celebrate their first authentic American holiday.  Of course, it isn't Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie, and so far, most people seem skeptical of that.  Either way, it is fun to start new traditions with my husband, now that we're a new family.  You better believe that sweet potatoes will feature in all of our future Thanksgivings (sorry, Mom).   

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! My best friend here in London is American, as are lots of my other friends, so we always celebrate the day! I hope you enjoy yourself.

    I'm a new follower, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Following you back now. :)

    ReplyDelete